10.24.2014

My Eight Year Old Boy

Eight is such a big age! I am overwhelmed that my sweet Grey is an eight-year old. I vividly remember life as an eight-year old and the years following--which is very scary as a parent. He is going to remember every imperfection of mine from hereon out! I am mostly overwhelmed with gratitude that Heavenly Father allowed me to become a mother and especially be a mother to Grey. He has an incredibly sweet spirit. I am amazed at his faith and understanding of the gospel at such a young age. I am amazed at his sensitivity to the Spirit and his wonderful efforts to be a good, kind, and loving person. His teacher recently told me that she can sit him next to anyone in the class and he will be their friend. She said he is friends with and kind to everyone. There is nothing more precious to hear as a parent. I absolutely adore him.

He is doing really well in school. He is at the end of a third grade reading level (at the beginning of second grade) and above level in all subjects. He works hard and really tries his best. He LOVES sports especially football. He plays football or soccer with his buddies every day at recess and always tries to sneak his athletic shorts under his pants for school. I have caught him a couple times... He is always leaving the house for school with a towel to use as a flag at recess or some sort of ball. He loves watching the Broncos and asks every Sunday morning what time they play then begins counting down ALL. DAY. LONG. 

Not surprisingly, Grey was pretty much off the charts in size at his 8-year old check up at the doctor. He was borderline 100% for weight (72 lbs) and way over the 100% for height (4' 6.5"). He is the size of an average 10-year old. He is strong, healthy and BIG. Should be nice for him since he loves football so much...

Grey is a wonderful older brother. He puts up with sharing a room with Cole (which we all agree would be very difficult). He reads stories or the scriptures to the younger ones. He wakes up and comes to give Vanessa a hug.
I am sensing that we are entering a new phase of life and of our relationship and it is exciting and scary all at the same time. I can feel the pull from him for a bit more independence and his insistence that he is capable of doing everything. I also find him figuring out he can make his own choices and learning consequences of those. I am so unprepared and untrained in raising children--this will be an interesting journey... Any words of wisdom are always welcome!


We had a family birthday party for Josh, Grey & Addie
Opening gifts in the morning!
He asked for German pancakes for his special breakfast so I was nice and dragged myself out of bed in time.
 New scriptures, watch and CU Buffs shirt

Since Grey's baptism was the day after his birthday, we decided to have a small combined party with a neighbor at Chuck-E-Cheese's.
The birthday boys (and Elise) Greyden & Cooper
 The requested cake--he picked it! I forgot to get a picture before candles




And the traditional birthday boy quiz:

What is your favorite food?
cereal, pizza and mac & cheese


What is your favorite vegetable?
carrots


What is your favorite fruit?
apples & pears


What is your favorite thing to do?
ride on daddy's motorcycle but I can't do that anymore so just being home and being LAZY


What are your favorite things to play with?
footballs, soccer balls, sports stuff


What is your favorite color?
red, white & blue


Who are your best friends?
Ryan, Emmett, Danny, Cooper, Brady, Andrew, ummmm everyone!


What do you like to wear?
my sports jerseys


What is your favorite sport?
FOOTBALL, baseball, soccer


What do you want to be when you grow up?
be in the military or a police officer


What are you really good at doing?
playing football


What is something that is hard for you to do?
nothing. Everything is easy for me.


What makes you sad?
everybody hating me :( But then he said its funny.


What makes you happy?
playing with Legos or sitting around and being lazy and being with my family


What makes you mad?
When Elise is saying, "That's Mine! That's Mine!" (with the whiny voice imitation)


What is your favorite TV show?
Chima or Ninjago


What is your favorite book?
Captain Underpants & Flat Stanley


What is your favorite game?
Battleship


What is your favorite animal?
The Elephant that pooped at the zoo


What is your favorite song?
In the Air (Phil Collins)


What is your favorite thing about mommy?
She helps me


What is your favorite thing about daddy?
He smacks Elise & Cole around (disclaimer: they wrestle and G thinks it funny when it isn't him)


What do you want for your birthday?
Minecraft for the Xbox 360


What is the best part about being 8?
getting baptized!!! 

No comments: